FCASPL 350 (Updated SACWIS Record Entry Process for Children Placed with Non-custodial Parents)
Family, Children and Adult Services Procedure Letter No. 350
May 13, 2020
TO: All Family, Children, and Adult Services Manual Holders
FROM: Kimberly Hall, Director
SUBJECT: Updated SACWIS Record Entry Process for Children Placed with Non-custodial Parents

The purpose of this procedure letter is to provide updated clarification regarding the responsibilities of a public children services agency (PCSA) or private child placing agency (PCPA) when the agency is considering the ability of a non-custodial parent to care for a child.

Paragraph (A) of rule 5101:2-42-05 of the Administrative Code requires the PCSA or PCPA to explore a non-custodial parent and then other maternal and paternal relatives willing and able to take custody of the child. According to the rule, if a relative is not able or willing to take custody of the child, then the agency shall explore placement of the child with a substitute caregiver. A parent, however, is not a “substitute caregiver”, which is defined in rule 5101:2-1-01 of the Administrative Code as “an individual providing care for a child who is in the custody of the PCSA or PCPA, including a relative other than the child’s parents…” Therefore, if the non-custodial parent is available and appropriate, as determined by the PCSA or PCPA, the agency should work with the court to give that parent temporary or legal custody of the child.

If the child is in the custody of the PCSA or PCPA, has not yet been placed, and will go directly to the non-custodial parent’s home, the agency shall record a non-custodial parent record. If the child is in the custody of the PCSA or PCPA and has already been placed in a placement setting (e.g. a foster home), then the agency shall put the child on leave as a trial home visit with the non-custodial parent until custody can be transferred to that parent. A child may be on leave from his or her current placement for a trial home visit with his or her parent, guardian, or custodian up to ninety consecutive days.

Guidance regarding SACWIS Entry

If an agency receives custody of a child from the court although the agency found the non-custodial parent to be appropriate, the agency can record the non-custodial parent record as follows:

  • Enter agency custody
  • Enter the initial removal record
  • Enter the (new) Non-Custodial Parent record (from within the Placement tab) by clicking the Add Non-Custodial Parent record button. There will be a Knowledge Base Article for this functionality as well.
  • Change the youth’s address to indicate the location of the child
  • Document the circumstances in an activity log


The following chart depicts what materials should be deleted from the Family, Children and Adult Services Manual (FCASM) and what materials are to be inserted in the FCASM.